On 2020-01-08 14:27, Daniel Leidert wrote:
And what s the benefit of this change: Getting rid of cron?

The very simple thing is: CRON=1 enables a cron job. It does *not* say: "Please enable something different as long as it achieves the same." There is nothing wrong with the cron job and it works perfectly fine. So I don't want to have it
replaced by something less transparent.

Why do you resist the appropriate behavior of raising a question whether the
user wants you to replace cron by systemd?

I don't think yelling in this way is helpful. "Run by cron" used to be the way of saying that it's a periodic job - as the only means of accomplishing this and it turns out it was a misnomer already given that it's run from cron.daily, which might be anacron on some systems and cron on others.

I think there needs to be a sensible choice for *periodic jobs* that we should document as the default unless there is a reason to use something else. It does not need to be cron, though.

Kind regards
Philipp Kern