Hi!

I was browsing the debian-devel mailing list archives some weeks ago and ran
into
this thread [1] where the removal of the firefox-esr package on armel was
discussed
because newer Firefox versions have a build-dependency on nodejs which isn't
available
on armel.

This could actually be fixed by patching the Debian source package such that the
Javascript code is compiled in the binary-indep target of debian/rules so that
the compiled Javascript files are put into the arch:all package and the Firefox
packages
firefox and firefox-esr can be built on armel, powerpc and sparc64 again.

I know from a contact at Oracle that they are doing this to be able to build
Firefox
on Solaris/SPARC, they just keep the Javascript files in the repository out of
which they are building the Firefox package for SPARC [2].

If we manage to split out the Javascript files into an arch:all package, we
would
be able to build Firefox on armel, powerpc, riscv64 and sparc64 as all these
targets
have full Rust support but don't support NodeJS. In the future, this will affect
MIPS as well [3]. I think even ppc64 support is going to be removed from NodeJS
in the near future.

I have already opened a bug report for that against src:firefox [4]. Would
anyone be
interested to work with me on this issue?

PS: Please keep me CC'ed, I'm not on the list.

Thanks,
Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz