* Scott Kitterman:

> On February 14, 2020 3:46:18 PM UTC, Dimitri John Ledkov <x...@debian.org>
> wrote:
>>Can a Debian Package Maintainer require CLA for accepting packaging
>>changes and distro patches to be uploaded into Debian itself?
>>
>>(case in point, debian maintainer & upstream wear the same hat, and
>>maintain upstream code & packaging on github.com, under a company org
>>with a CLA bot, rejecting debian/* merge proposals until CLA is
>>signed)

I don't see what's wrong with that.  Just because there's a debian/
directory doesn't make it Debian.

>>I didn't find things specifically about this in the policy and/or in
>>the dfsg-faq and the three classic tests (desert island / dissident /
>>tentacles of evil) do not fit the bill quite right.

> Maintainers have substantial discretion regarding what contributions
> they accept.  "I don't want a patch that's not upstreamable" is not
> uncommon.  Mostly your question seems to be a variant of that
> concern.

I tend to agree, but we do not have archive-level mechanisms to
enforce that and prevent NMUs.

Depending on the nature of the CLA, requiring it would border on a
DFSG violation.  It would also make the package unmaintainable if the
original packer loses interest, so the package would not be suitable
for inclusion in a stable release.

On the other hand, we have this in the request-tracker4 package:

# CONTRIBUTION SUBMISSION POLICY:
#
# (The following paragraph is not intended to limit the rights granted
# to you to modify and distribute this software under the terms of
# the GNU General Public License and is only of importance to you if
# you choose to contribute your changes and enhancements to the
# community by submitting them to Best Practical Solutions, LLC.)
#
# By intentionally submitting any modifications, corrections or
# derivatives to this work, or any other work intended for use with
# Request Tracker, to Best Practical Solutions, LLC, you confirm that
# you are the copyright holder for those contributions and you grant
# Best Practical Solutions,  LLC a nonexclusive, worldwide, irrevocable,
# royalty-free, perpetual, license to use, copy, create derivative
# works based on those contributions, and sublicense and distribute
# those contributions and any derivatives thereof.

I consider this an attempt at a CLA because of the asymmetric
licensing grant, but it's probably too weak for most people who care
about CLAs.