On Sat, Mar 14, 2020 at 05:41:38PM -0400, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:

> The fact is that given the length of time packages can wait for NEW
> processing and the amount of effort package maintainers put into
> packaging, it is understandable that they would be frustrated at the
> rejection of a package.  That said, it does not make flaming the FTP an
> acceptable response and is certainly not going to produce any positive
> result.  But it is not clear that it would be possible to prevent such a
> thing.

I would like to change the strategy we currently use in Debian to deal
with structural issues, from what seems like "people yell abuse out of
frustration and teams survive by bearing with it", to something else.

I would ideally like to cut on the abuse, and invest in help (both
asking for, offering, and accepting help) in dealing with both routine
and structural issues.

I mean, *abuse in the project cannot possinly be part of routine work*.
Please let the Community Team know of instances so they can talk to
people, and please let DAM know of particularly bad instances, like
personal threats, if they happen.

However, if we have a structural issue that causes frustration, having
the community team helping people in keeping their cool and DAM taking
action on people with a tendency to losing it bad, does not make the
structural issue sustainable.

For this reason, thank you for asking for help! I hope people who
volunteer can expect better working conditions than what was offered in
the call, and I hople that one can have a path of growth in the team
from something that looks like grunts who do the routine work under
enemy fire, to someone who can get appreciation for their work, over
time develop understanding and agency in the team, and eventually can
help to shape it.

I don't mean for this to be specific to the FTP team. I guess this
thread gave me an opportunity to voice my more general thoughts.

Enrico

--
GPG key: 4096R/634F4BD1E7AD5568 2009-05-08 Enrico Zini <enr...@enricozini.org>