On 2020-05-20 13:42 +0200, Gard Spreemann wrote:

> Wookey <woo...@wookware.org> writes:

> Is there any community consensus on putting the bundling in place
> temporarily while the separate package is held up in NEW? Being the
> maintainer of both, I would be able to quickly react to the separate
> package having cleared NEW, and rid the other package of its bundled
> copy.

Would you not just put them both into NEW at approx the same time,
library first? In practice no-one will stop you bundling in the
initial upload, then uploading the separate library, then removing the
bundle in a second upload of the main package once the library is
through NEW. But that's more work that just doing it right in the first
place.

> > If it is useful beyond this one package (and it sounds like it is) I'd
> > just package it. A headers-only library is relatively quick and easy to do.
> >
> >> I would track the bundling as a bug and act on it when/if a separate
> >> package enters Debian.
> >
> > Would you necessarily notice when another package using this
> > dependency enters the archive?
>
> Another package using another bundled copy of the package-to-be,

Yes that's what I meant.

> In [that] case I'd hope that that package's maintainer would notice
> and keep track of my ITP.

OK. If you file an ITP then yes the problem should not arise (or at
least it's not your fault). I was assuming that if you were bundling
you would not be filing an ITP, because you're explicitly not
intending to P :-)

Wookey
http://wookware.org/