Hi,

Ansgar <ans...@debian.org> writes:

> On Mon, 2020-08-17 at 15:50 +1200, Matthew Ruffell wrote:
>> I propose that we restrict access to dmesg to users in group 'adm' like so:
>>
>> 1) CONFIG_SECURITY_DMESG_RESTRICT=y in the kernel.
>> 2) Following changes to /bin/dmesg permissions in package 'util-linux'
>>     - Ownership changes to root:adm
>>     - Permissions changed to 0750 (-rwxr-x---)
>>     - Add cap_syslog capability to binary.
>> 3) Add a commented out '# kernel.dmesg_restrict = 0' to
>>    /etc/sysctl.d/10-kernel-hardening.conf
>
> That grants additional rights to the `adm` group that it did not have
> before, for example to clear the dmesg buffer:
>
> $ dmesg --clear
>
> works after adding `cap_syslog` to the dmesg binary whereas it did not
> work before.
>
> Ansgar

Wow, this surprised me.  Thank you for this insight :-)

Given that our default sudoers (and afaik Ubuntu's) provides the
following rule

  %sudo   ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL

would it be reasonable to modify this proposal to use the "sudo" rather
than "adm" group, given that we don't yet have a default mechanism to
enforce a "if groups = (sudo AND adm)" mechanism?  Or is it possible to
get rich access controls by a fallback sequence like "if apparmor, else
selinux, else yama, else fs ACLs, else default-restrictive-policy"?

Apologies for being ignorant about the state of the art!

Regards,
Nicholas