Hi,

On Tue, 13 Oct 2020, at 06:53, Noah Meyerhans wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 09, 2020 at 12:14:23PM +0200, Stephan Seitz wrote:
> > That’s why I need to know the different programs anyway. Why would I go for
> > something like open which can only use one program for the file type?

> You wouldn't, but that's not the point.  The availability of
> /usr/bin/open wouldn't preclude your use of whatever program you want to
> use.  What it would do is provide a convenient utility to support people
> who don't (yet) have a preference for what application they want to use
> to open a file.  Maybe they have only basic needs, or are unfamiliar
> with the file type and its associated commands.  There are surely many
> other reasons.

I’m a potential user of "open", since I currently use xdg-open instead, and
it’s longer to type. Very often I can’t or don’t want to remember what the
binary of the application is called, especially in case of GNOME apps, which no
longer use the application name in the UI: eog, evince etc.

--
Cheers,
  Andrej