❦  7 décembre 2020 08:57 -05, Mark Pearson:

> I'd like to solve the lack of Intel SOF audio firmware & topology
> files being available on Debian - I know it's impacting a lot of users
> on some of the newer Thinkpads. I figured I should have a stab at this
> exercise myself and see what happens.
>
> I did a bit of reading this weekend, and started the process. Having
> created appropriate files under a debian sub-dir, and messed around a
> bit, now when running 'debuild -us -uc' from the 1.6 cloned branch of
> the sof-bin git repo I end up with a .deb file that I can install and
> makes audio work. Feels like progress :)
>
> There are plenty of warnings along the way, and it's my first time
> doing this so I'm sure I'm doing all sorts of things wrong (there
> seems like a lot of different options on how to do this); but I
> figured I have a good starting point. I wasn't sure where to go with
> this next.
>
> Is there anybody in the Debian community with the expertise to spend a
> bit of time guiding me through the next steps? I think I need someone
> who can review what I have done and point out where it needs
> fixing/improving. Once it's good enough then I think I need someone to
> help me actually get it uploaded and into Debian. There is a bug
> already available (https://bugs.debian.org/960788) if that helps.
> Obviously happy to share all the work I've done in an appropriate
> format if that helps too.
>
> Note - I'm new to packaging, I'm not a SOF expert and I'm not a DM or
> a DD - so someone with patience for dumbass questions would be a
> bonus.

Hello Mark,

I can help you, using the easy way: shipping binary firmwares as
non-free. I don't think this is worth the effort trying to compile from
source while it is not possible to use the compiled firmwares.

You can either use salsa.debian.org or mentors.debian.net to expose your
current work. Tell me if it means something for you or if I need to
explain.
--
Avoid temporary variables.