On 15.01.21 13:42, Ansgar wrote:
> On Tue, 2021-01-12 at 19:30 +0100, Geert Stappers wrote:
>> Ah, yes I also wonder how much the world will improve
>> if non-free would be split in non-free and non-free-firmware.
>> Currently is non free firmware a hugh promoter of non-free in
>> /etc/apt/sources.list
>
> I proposed moving non-free firmware to a new non-free-firmware some
> time ago[1], but then it seemed like there was no consensus on this
> which I though we had before.  Some people wanted non-free/firmware
> instead (different name), wanted packages to start appearing in
> multiple components (non-free and non-free[/-]firmware), wanted
> additional categories (e.g. non-free/doc for Free Software Foundation
> stuff), wanted non-free drivers as well, wanted major changes how
> components work (which might imply incompatible changes for mirroring
> tools and so on), ...

I idly wonder if we could call it firmware and call it a day. I tried to
propose that a bunch of times and was not successful either (e.g. it was
unclear to me if that needed a GR).

I guess better non-free filtering would not be a bad idea, though. For
the buildd network it is also still an unsolved question how to allow
build-depending on a (small, allowlisted) subset of non-free.

Kind regards
Philipp Kern