Hello!

I just noticed how maintainers are NMU'ing packages in large quantities to
get them somehow in a usable state for the release. The packages get small
patches so that they are more or less working and can get into testing, despite
the packages being untouched for a long time in some cases meaning there is
no guarantee for quality.

I personally do not think that this is a good idea as this leads to the release
being shipped with lots of packages that have not been properly maintained and
the single NMU just paints over that issue.

It shouldn't be enough for a package to have its worst bugs fixed like FTBFS or
crashes when it gets shipped with a release. Packages that are being shipped
with
a release should also be properly maintained or not shipped at all.

If the packages in question are essential, then these packages should get a
proper
maintainer with a maintenance release first before the freeze kicks in. I don't
think we gain anything by shipping half-finished releases.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
: :' :  Debian Developer - glaub...@debian.org