On Tue, 2021-08-10 at 12:34:18 +0000, Bastien Roucariès wrote:
> I am going to compile shell.efi from source.
>
> I whish to install to something stable, but I need an arch triplet
> in order to put in a multiarch (like) location.

Multiarch-based pathnames should only be used by multiarch-conforming
packages for matching and existing dpkg architectures, otherwise we'll
end up with a mess of conflicting paths if we ever add such real
architecture.

Where <https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Dpkg/Spec/FreestandingArches>
comes to mind.

In addition the main reason we had to add the multiarch tuples was
pretty much to workaround the problem with i386 using varying CPUs in
the GNU system name (i486, i586, i686), so using anything but i386
there would be adding insult to injury. :)

> I suppose that it will be  x86_64-efi-none (or maybe x86_64-windows-efi  )
> and
> i686-uefi-none ? Note that grub use x86_64-efi

The vendor always gets ignored in the dpkg context.

Although is there really a need for a cross-compiler here, or is
something like -ffreestanding enough?

> I suppose we should register these triplet somewhere, and I suppose it is
> config-patc...@gnu.org ?

https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Dpkg/FAQ#Q._Can_we_add_support_for_new_dpkg_architectures.3F

Thanks,
Guillem