On Mon, Aug 16, 2021 at 11:05:00PM -0500, Daniel Lewart wrote:
> Debian Developers,
>
> First, thank you to Ansgar, et al, for changing
> <suite>/updates to <suite>-security !
>
> There are a variety of Debian security repository URIs published.
> Below are four of them and some authoritative URLs that use them.
> This inconsistency is confusing.
>
> Which URI is best?
>
> #2 and #4 are eliminated by the following:
>   * Re: Rename security suite to *-security
>         https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2015/12/msg00333.html
>   * #758316 - APT: Use HTTPS by default:
>         https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=758316
>
> That leaves two candidates for the canonical URI:
>   * http://deb.debian.org/debian-security
>   * http://security.debian.org/debian-security
>
> Is there consensus as to which one is preferred?
>
> If so, I will try to get the non-canonical URIs changed.

Note that my opinion is not authoritative in any way, but for years
I have been under the impression that the security updates repository is
intentionally not supposed to be mirrored with the idea that a mirror
admin getting distracted for a couple of days will not lead to users not
receiving security updates - the idea that Apt will always, always query
the central host for security updates in particular. Of course, this
places a bit more bandwidth/performance demands on security.debian.org,
so maybe my view has become outdated and it is okay to use a mirror for
the security repository; just thought I'd mention that.

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev  r...@ringlet.net r...@debian.org p...@storpool.com
Key fingerprint 2EE7 A7A5 17FC 124C F115  C354 651E EFB0 2527 DF13