Hi Fabian,

Le 23/08/2021 10:53, Fabian Greffrath a écrit :
in the short term, I'd like to replace the prboom-plus Doom engine in
Debian with its more actively developed fork dsda-doom. While
developement of the former has mostly stagnated (granted, it had its
2.6.1um release earlier this month), the latter pioneered with new
features like the introduction of the MBF21 modding standard and
DSDehacked (aka unlimited everything). Apart from that, it also keeps
demo compatibility as its highest goal, has added support for Heretic
and Hexen and has the vibrant DSDA speedrunning community behind it.

The downside is that dsda-coom introduced a new versioning scheme which
is currently at v0.21.0, whereas prboom-plus is already at 2.6.1um. To
provide for an easy upgrade path for prboom-plus users, I'd like to
introduce the dsda-doom package with an epoch. Since prboom-plus
already has epoch 2, this would necessarily be epoch 3.

I might be missing something, but I don’t think a new package needs an epoch just because it is intended to replace an existing package with an epoch. The dsda-doom source package could be versioned at 0.21.0, building a 0.21.0 dsda-doom package and a 2:whatever (later than 2.6.1um) or 3:0.21.0 prboom-plus transitional package.

Regards,

Stephen