Am 11. Januar 2022 09:24:28 MEZ schrieb Wouter Verhelst <wou...@debian.org>:
>On Tue, Jan 11, 2022 at 12:51:45AM +0000, Seth Arnold wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 10, 2022 at 08:02:50PM +0100, Philip Hands wrote:
>> > The only missing bit AFAIK is getting the step where tasksel gets
>> > installed into the target system, and then run, to be able to grab the
>> > version of tasksel to use from an alternative apt repository (which is
>> > already being created as part of the salsa-CI pipeline I've got setup),
>>
>> Is installing tasksel actually necessary? apt understands tasks, eg:
>> apt install lamp-server^
>>
>> https://shantanugoel.com/2010/10/23/apt-get-caret/
>> https://askubuntu.com/questions/211912/
>>
>> I believe this works even if tasksel isn't installed on the target system.
>
>Yes, but that doesn't give a user a friendly way to select a task.
>
>If you know the task then yes, that's plenty, but there's more at play here.

Well, entries like "Debian desktop environment" do not have a good explanation
in tasksel either. Unless you look at the apt information or the debian wiki,
there is not much for the user to find out about it.  Gnome is the default of
it but still listed separately, adding more confusion. That's at least my
experience with it. There could be more guidance for the user in tasksel
itself, avoiding the need for a different media to get better information.