Hello Steve,

On Wed 09 Feb 2022 at 01:26pm -08, Steve Langasek wrote:

> The fact that the FTP team applies license/copyright review as part of their
> review of source packages has grounding in a number of goals of Debian as a
> project.  The existence of a binary NEW queue is also sensible, as the FTP
> team have to manage the namespace of the packages in the archive.  But the
> application of license/copyright review by the FTP team for existing
> source packages as part of binary NEW processing /and at no other time/ is
> arbitrary.  It is, at best, a historical accident that has taken on the
> authority of precedent.
>
> Guarding against debian/copyright drift is a useful goal.  But it is harmful
> to the velocity of the project to either block or reject new binary packages
> in the archive because of this linkage to license review.
> Actively-developed library packages with ABI changes are not fundamentally
> more likely to have license drift than any other package in the archive, so
> focusing FTP team time on reviewing the licenses of these packages in
> particular is a misapplication of resources.
>
> The responses I've seen from the FTP team to this can, I believe, be roughly
> paraphrased as "we would like all debian/copyright in the archive to be
> clean, but we don't have capacity to do that, so we're doing this instead".
> I assert that it is much, much worse to continue doing this than to do *no*
> license/copyright review as part of binary NEW.  It does not achieve the
> goal of having clean debian/copyright across the archive; it slows down the
> binary NEW queue due to (self-imposed) workload of the FTP team; and it
> deters developers interested in this problem space from innovating better
> (and more systematic) solutions outside the small FTP team.

I'm sorry to be responding only a month later, but I think there are
some reasons why binNEW is not the worst place to be doing these extra
checks: packages with SONAME bumps are typically C or C++ projects and
these are (i) large, such that d/copyright is more likely to drift
simply because of the volume of files; and (ii) often contain embedded
code copies with different copyright and licensing.  My own NEW
experience is that I've consistently found more problems in binNEW
packages than anywhere else.

--
Sean Whitton