Quoting intrigeri (2022-04-19 13:20:19)
> Jonas Smedegaard (2022-04-19):
> > In other words: Please let's take this is multiple steps, first
> > being to distinguish non-free firmware from other non-free code,
> > without deciding yet exactly how strongly we then allow that new
> > section to be integrated with our "pure" parts.
>
> I tend to favor incremental approaches. In the case at hand though,
> I'm worried it'll be difficult to find people motivated to accomplish
> that first step (which I guess is the biggest part of the work, but
> arguably yields little benefit), without some commitment from the
> project to actually use that work in order to solve the problems this
> thread is about.
>
> So I'd like to understand: why do you prefer to postpone the decision?

Good point!

When I install systems, I consider non-free blobs more risky than other
code.  Yes, that includes blobs executed non on the system but is
uploaded to other isolated systems: Even though I myself am not clever
enough to detect security flaws in most Free code, others are, and some
even take on as educational tasks to examine source code.  So I have a
higher trust on the "more eyeballs, fewer bugs" logic for Free software
than for non-free blobs.

When I (sometimes, but not always¹) choose to "infect" my systems with
non-free packages, I therefore consider each non-free package to try
minimize the amount of risky blobs on my systems.  As an example, I may
choose to not apply realtek firmware updates when I can verify that my
ethernet device works adequately without it.

Now, some may argue that I am describing a case for package pinning
here, and that *might* be true but I don't know that yet - because the
proposed change to the system does not exist yet so I cannot really know
that yet.  Possibly the implementation will be so that I continuously
need to check if some new non-free blobs was introduced and block those,
instead of the current situation of not needing to do anything actively
to keeping most possible risky "stuff" away from my systems.

Hope that makes sense.

A counter-question: What is the large work required to do the separation
stage, without the integration stage?

I recognize that there is an ongoing burden of status quo, and therefore
of prolonging that.  Sorry that my option 6 cannot really address that.
I do not, however, understand how the task of separating a
non-free-firmware section is "all work and no joy".

Kind regards,

 - Jonas

¹ Really!  I do recognize that certain types of systems, e.g. rack
servers, more often than not require non-free blobs for crucial
components like ethernet drivers, but not all do, and commonly the kind
of systems I manage do not.