On 2022-05-31 14:04:18 +0500, Andrey Rahmatullin wrote:

> > > Indeed, but pipewire service doesn't take control of audio over
> > > pulseaudio. Only pipewire-pulse does that.
> >
> > This is incorrect. The pipewire-pulse package was not installed
> > at all (pipewire-pulse had been installed automatically in
> > October 2021 due to dependencies, but the change was reverted,
> > and the package got removed on my machine 3 days later).

Sorry. Actually it got removed because I downgraded the pipewire
packages back to the previous version (it's clearer with the
/var/log/apt/term.log* log files).

> > I don't know whether this could cause the issue, but
> > pipewire-media-session was installed, because pipewire-bin
> > recommends it. There were already issues with it in the past:
> What issues?

The ones mentioned below ("Closes: ...").

> > https://tracker.debian.org/news/1271014/accepted-pipewire-0339-3-source-into-unstable/
> > which says:
> >
> >    * Remove pipewire-media-session from Recommends.
> >        (Closes: #995116, #996994, #997859)
> The context of this was "replace pipewire-media-session with wireplumber"

Indeed, this is what happened with pipewire 0.3.39-1, as I can see
in my dpkg logs and the changelog:

  * Change priority order between pipewire-media-session and wireplumber,
      WirePlumber is now the recommended session manager.

and this is what led to the pipewire-pulse installation.

> and it was rolled back in the next upload as you can see in d/changelog.

More precisely, pipewire-media-session was removed from Recommends
in pipewire 0.3.39-3. I upgraded to this version, and pipewire-pulse
was installed again. So, I downgraded again, so that pipewire-pulse
got removed again.

Then the rollback was done in pipewire 0.3.39-4:

  * Re-add pipewire-media-session as an alternative to Wireplumber,
      it is now back in the archive as a separate source package.

and pipewire-pulse was no longer installed again on my machine.

Anyway, when I upgraded the vlc package two weeks ago, this had the
effect that PulseAudio was no longer used as the sound server (for
both vlc and ogg123), though pipewire was already installed (due to
a Recommends from libpipewire-0.3-0, itself due to a Depends from
xdg-desktop-portal). The only new package was vlc-plugin-pipewire,
due to

  * debian/control: Recommend vlc-plugin-pipewire

pipewire-pulse was not installed.

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vinc...@vinc17.net> - Web: <https://www.vinc17.net/>