Hi Hakan,

On Wed, Jun 01, 2022 at 09:41:35AM +0300, Hakan Bayındır wrote:

> On 30.05.2022 09:36, Andrey Rahmatullin wrote:
> > On Sun, May 29, 2022 at 05:33:21PM -0400, Bobby wrote:
> > > There are definitely people who use forks because it's easier to
> > > install non-free firmware. What's the problem with that? Let them use
> > > forks. A distro can't be all things to all people.
> > This would mean almost officially dropping support for user computers and,
> > as I've heard, many of the servers. It's certainly possible but I'm afraid
> > this will lead to even fewer new contributors to Debian.
>
> As a person who's handling a lot of servers, I can tell that most high
> performance hardware is running either load-on-boot (generally ethernet and
> other network cards) or persistent (generally storage and RAID contollers)
> non-free firmware blobs.
>
> First category can perform basic tasks without firmware, but servers being
> servers, this low performance mode is undesirable barring light-load servers
> which is both a minority and a contradiction to the word server in my
> profession.

Basic tasks include networking - many IBM and Dell servers use(d) Broadcom
chipsets which wouldn't work without a non-free driver. Been caught out like
that installing in a data centre: can't get networking to work to get the
drivers I need for the network card.

> Also, this persistent firmware is meant to be updated throughout the life of
> the hardware (5-10 years in normal cases). This is why there's fwupd which
> can manage this upgrade process very elegantly.

If you're unlucky, you may find that support just isn't there any more -
some MegaRAID / LSI cards :(

> > > Debian is unique in this area, and it would be a shame to sacrifice that
> > > and make it just like all the rest. And it's unclear what benefit there
> > > is to attracting a larger and larger userbase as a bottom-line. It is
> > > not a commercial project, so they will not be paying customers. The
> > > best-case scenario is that people are attracted to making contributions
> > > or becoming more interested in free software, which I thought was the
> > > main goal. So if that isn't prioritized, what's the point?
> > I'm afraid that not providing hardware support is not the same as
> > prioritizing free software, or even free hardware.
>
> While I proposed a different way for supporting this binary blobs and
> defended it rather strongly in this mailing list, I'd love to see Debian
> support more hardware.
>
> On the other hand, I still hold the view that inclusion of this firmware
> should be in line with the due-diligence Debian is famous for. i.e. Labeling
> non-free firmware correctly, and giving the user freedom to not install
> them, even if this cripples the target hardware in question.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Hakan

All the very best, as ever,

Andy Cater