Hi. This probably has been covered before, but it's so consistently
annoying that I'd like to bring it up again.

Currently the Debian build tools strongly encourage packages to have
exactly

  Build-Depends: debhelper-compat (= 13)

This works fine if you're building for Debian/sid in 2022. It does not
work in any other context. I have a very common use case: at work I'm
maintaining several APT repos for the packages we use for several
distros (the last few releases of Debian and Ubuntu). The latest Debian
already has the packages in it, so the Build-Depends line is exactly as
above. But this means that building the package for any of the older
releases fails. And if I say something reasonable like

  Build-Depends: debhelper-compat (>= 11)

Then this happens when building the package on sid:

  dh: warning: Found invalid debhelper-compat relation: debhelper-compat (>= 11)
  dh: warning:  * Please format the relation as (example): debhelper-compat (=
13)
  dh: warning:  * Note that alternatives, architecture restrictions,
build-profiles etc. are not supported.
  dh: warning:  * If this is not possible, then please remove the
debhelper-compat relation and insert the
  dh: warning:    compat level into the file debian/compat.  (E.g. "echo 13 >
debian/compat")
  dh: error: Could not parse desired debhelper compat level from relation:
debhelper-compat (>= 11)
  make: *** [debian/rules:8: clean] Error 255

It isn't helpful. Most packages (including mine) are very vanilla, and
there isn't any difference between debhelper 11 or 12 or 13. I'm having
to patch debian/control every time I do a build, and this isn't a useful
use of my time. Can we please loosen this in some way?

Thanks!