On 2022-09-09 04:51, Paul Wise wrote:
On Thu, 2022-09-08 at 17:58 +0200, Dylan Aïssi wrote:

I have been asked several times regarding when Debian will switch its default
sound server from PulseAudio to PipeWire without having an official answer.
Thus, I suppose it's the right time to start a discussion about that.

I switched to PipeWire some time ago. I don't have particularly complex
audio needs (just AUX/headphones on a desktop). When the system is
under load and the CPU throttled, I get choppy audio, which is
especially annoying when the load is caused by a video. That doesn't
happen with PulseAudio and setting the quantum to 2048 is a workaround.

    pw-metadata -n settings 0 clock.force-quantum 2048

Probably there are more of these sorts of issues, so I agree we should
switch to it by default sooner rather than later to find the problems.

I also had this issue. This was greatly improved since May and I am now using it instead of PulseAudio. Check that you have rtkit-daemon installed. It helps.