On Sun, 2022-09-18 at 12:11 +0100, Luca Boccassi wrote:
> On Sun, 2022-09-18 at 11:42 +0200, Sven Joachim wrote:
> > This does not quite work as intended, because debootstrap's
> > simplistic resolver only ever looks at the first alternative in
> > dependencies, and so usrmerge gets installed anyway.  See #768062,
> > for instance.
>
> That doesn't match what I have seen while testing it, and what I see
> even now in a sid chroot where usr-is-merged is pre-installed:

Did you try debootstrap with init-system-helpers 1.65.2 in unstable?
I could reproduce the problem; "debootstrap --print-debs unstable
unstable https://deb.debian.org/debian"; or similar should be sufficient
to show the problem.

I wrote a possible patch for debootstrap in [1], but being debootstrap
we might need to have it in stable as well. Maybe someone has other
ideas as well.

Ansgar

  [1]: https://salsa.debian.org/ansgar/debootstrap/-/commits/exclude-usrmerge