On Sunday, September 25, 2022 4:03:50 PM EDT Ansgar wrote:
> On Sun, 2022-09-25 at 11:17 -0700, John Darrah wrote:
> > I'm tracking testing and with my most recent update I started getting
> > the nag to update the Secure Boot dbx. When I click the graphical
> > 'update' button it appears to update something, but the update button
> > remains as if nothing changed.
>
> Some firmware updates, including DBX updates, are distributed via a
> different service than apt: fwupd.  The fwupdmgr program provides a
> command-line interface; the most helpful commands are probably
> "fwupdmgr get-updates" (get list of updates, i.e., equivalent to "apt
> update"), "fwupdmgr update" (install updates) and "fwupdmgr get-
> history" (history of installed firmware updates).

I follow exactly this process and get the following error. This started
occurring about a week ago.

Upgrade available for UEFI dbx from 77 to 217
UEFI dbx and all connected devices may not be usable while updating. Continue
with update? [Y|n]: Y
Downloading…             [***************************************]
Decompressing…           [***************************************]
Authenticating…          [***************************************]
Authenticating…          [***************************************]
Updating UEFI dbx…       [***************************************]
Verifying…               [***************************************]
Blocked executable in the ESP, ensure grub and shim are up to date: /boot/efi/
EFI/BOOT/shimx64.efi Authenticode checksum
[af79b14064601bc0987d4747af1e914a228c05d622ceda03b7a4f67014fee767] is present
in dbx

I believe the error is due to the following bug reported in the upstream bug
system.

https://github.com/fwupd/fwupd/issues/5035

This particular bug doesn't appear in the Debian bugs for the package fwupd.
I'm also running stable which has a terribly outdated version of fwupd. I'm on
a Lenovo Thinkpad X1. I need to investigate a bit more before filing a bug
report.

--
JP