On 1.12.2022 12:16, Paul Wise wrote:
On Sat, 2022-11-26 at 19:42 +0100, Patrice Duroux wrote:

Any (or a specific group of) users could be able to install any
package of the first class by their own without asking a sysadmin (or
explicitly acquiring privilege of) user.

The general idea of a safe way to allow users to manage system-wide
apt packages has come up before, here is another writeup about it:

https://wiki.debian.org/UntrustedDebs

The goal of allowing all users to manage installed software seems like
something better served by app sandboxing technologies like Flatpak.
It is probably possible to convert .deb packages to Flatpak packages.

I think AppImages are great (from my perspective) for allowing people to run whatever they want on their systems, without getting root privileges and having a sandboxed, hermetically sealed application with batteries included.

The nicer thing is, they have a tool to convert .deb packages to AppImages [0], and moreover, the tool doesn't need root permissions to run. The tool even includes recipes for popular packages, too.

[0]: https://github.com/AppImageCommunity/pkg2appimage