El 28/1/23 a las 20:35, Adrian Bunk escribió:
I have so far not seen any technical arguments why removing tzdata from
the build essential set would be better for Debian than keeping it there.
Removing tzdata reduces the size of a chroot that has the build
dependencies for the hello package installed by ~ 0.5%, this size
decrease does not strike me as a sufficient reason for reducing the
build essential set.

I believe tzdata not being build-essential is useful for two reasons:

One of them: I've actually found *two* cases where the build failure
(when not having tzdata in the chroot) was due to a missing *binary* dependency
(of one of the build-depends).

The missing binary bug may not be very relevant, but it was discovered thanks
to using a minimal build environment (and reporting build failures), as a side
effect.

The other one: There are a bunch of packages whose unit tests rely on tzdata.
The tzdata
package changes often during the lifetime of stable, and as a result, some
package might
stop building from source. If we wanted to know in advance which packages might
break after
a tzdata update, we could use the available information in the build-depends
fields.

Of course, not that I personally have plenty of time for that, but in a general
sense, having
the information of which packages use tzdata for building is better than not
having such information
anywhere.

As you requested, I think the above two are technical reasons, not
merely "because policy says so".

Thanks.