Package: wnpp
Severity: wishlist
Owner: jeremy.bi...@canonical.com

Package Name: xdg-terminal-exec
Version: git snapshot
Upstream Author: Vladimir Kudrya
License: GPL-3+
Programming Lang: Shell

 xdg-terminal-exec is an implementation of a proposed freedesktop.org
 specification for launching a user's default terminal app.

Other Info
--------------
I will maintain this with the Debian freedesktop.org team. Packaging is at
https://salsa.debian.org/freedesktop-team/xdg-terminal-exec

This solves a problem: currently you can use update-alternatives to
choose a default terminal for a Debian system, but what happens when
you have multiple users on the same Debian system with different
preferences?

I don't think the "proposed specification" has been fully drafted yet.
There is some discussion at
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xdg/xdg-specs/-/issues/54
and over the years in the xdg mailing list.

More recently, the alpha for glib 2.76 (part of GNOME 44 Alpha) now
supports xdg-terminal -exec and GNOME Terminal 3.46.7 includes the
necessary metadata file. We might backport the glib feature to Debian
Bookworm, but it is quite late in Bookworm's release process.

The metadata would also need to be added to other terminal emulator
apps and desktops that use glib would need to ship a metadata file
with their preferred terminal emulators.

There is no GUI way for users to override the preference; they would
need to add/edit the config file in their home directory manually.

More details in the README at https://github.com/Vladimir-csp/xdg-terminal-exec

Thanks,
Jeremy Bicha