Hi,

On Mon, Jan 02, 2023 at 12:01:54PM -0800, Noah Meyerhans wrote:
> See bug #1008281 for context. [1]
>
> The proposal is to install /usr/lib/sysctl.d/iputils-ping.conf with the
> following content:
> net.ipv4.ping_group_range="0 2147483647"
>
> With that in place, unprivileged users are able to excute ping for both
> IPv4 and IPv6 targets without cap_net_raw (currently set as either a
> file-based attribute on the ping binary or acquired via setuid).  But
> since that applies system-wide, not just to the ping binary, there may
> be objections.

As much as I like unprivileged operation, I think this change may expand
privileges beyond what we expect. At present, ping limits an
unprivileged user to a minimum spacing of 2ms and prevents a flood ping.
Of course a user can just run multiple ping processes in parallel to
overcome this limitation.

I'm posting this, because I think this argument as been missed in the
discussion. I consider this argument to be vaguely weak and not
significantly affecting the course of action.

Helmut