Alastair McKinstry <alastair.mckins...@sceal.ie> writes:

>> On Thu, Jun 29, 2023 at 08:55:11PM +0100, Matthew Vernon wrote:
>>> Bookworm is now out; I will shortly be increasing the severity of
>>> the outstanding bugs to RC, with the intention being to remove
>>> src:pcre3 from Debian before the trixie release.

[snip]

> There's significant work creating and testing patches for this
> transition. Marking removal is too much.

PCRE upstream have been wanting to be shot of old-pcre for a very long
time now (pcre2 has been available since 2015, and was first in Debian
stretch), and it's been essentially unsupported for a number of years
now; I had originally hoped we could ditch it from bookworm. I thought
the beginning of a release cycle was the natural time to bump to RC
severity to try and make sure we can remove pcre3 in good time for
trixie.

Regards,

Matthew

--
"At least you know where you are with Microsoft."
"True. I just wish I'd brought a paddle."