Hi Sven (2023.08.05_19:01:19_+0000)
> It might be worth to consider changing your workflow a bit and work with
> a git repository. It does not have to be a clone of the repository (if
> any) where the package is maintained, you can start with a fresh import,
> e.g. with "gbp import-dsc".
>
> Then before building the package for the first time, commit or at least
> stash your changes, and you can go easily back to a clean state with
> "git reset --hard; git clean -fdqx".

I find myself in the same position as Wookey, here. I will work with the
git tree (if it exists) most of the time when I'm touching a package
I've never touched before. Unless the repository is unreasonably big, or
broken.

However, when it fails to build, it's inside my build environment, not a
git tree. It's nice to be able to troubleshoot the build in there,
rather than have to spin up a new build (and install build-deps etc.).
So I find myself having to fix the clean target to continue to work on
the package. This is annoying, it would be nice if packages cleaned
correctly.

Personally, I have my sbuild configured to build a source package after
the build, so that I can be sure that I don't regress my own packages'
clean target. It would be nice if this was a default feature in sbuild,
for most packages this is a very quick process.

Stefano

--
Stefano Rivera
  http://tumbleweed.org.za/