On Sat, 5 Aug 2023 at 17:44, Vincent Bernat <ber...@debian.org> wrote:

> On 2023-08-05 17:06, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> > Should we give up on requiring a 'clean' target that works? After all,
> > when 17% of packages are failing, it means that many maintainers don't
> > depend on it in their workflow.
>
> Yes, please, this does not make sense anymore to enforce such a rule
> when it is now easy to use "git clean -fxd" or to build in a chroot.
> Moreover, binary packages in the archive are now built by an official
> builder.

Agreed. This should result in a policy change. A "clean" target is entirely
superfluous these days, and has been for probably decades. It is easy, and
better in most measurable ways, to build from scratch every time. You only
need to reuse a build folder when debugging, and then "clean" isn't
relevant anyway.

-- Tino Didriksen