On 2023-09-10 22:42, Russ Allbery wrote:
So far as I know, no one has ever made a detailed, concrete proposal for
what the implications of this would be for Debian, what the transition
plan would look like, and how to address the various issues that will
arise.  Moving configuration files out of /etc, in particular, is
something I feel confident saying that we do not have any sort of project
consensus on, and is not something Debian as a project (as opposed to
individuals within the project) is currently planning on working on.

I don't feel like not having /etc is going to be feasible for a while. However another interesting question is what a minimal /etc looks like and what could be generated on-demand or regenerated from some staging ground in /usr and /var (e.g. the debconf database).

If you squint, that's what NixOS is doing. But we have a pretty messy way with multiple conflicting systems to put configuration in and how we merge the files when updates are installed. There would need to be some deeper primitives to make this happen.

Kind regards
Philipp Kern