My understanding is that MPICH has been typically the reference implementation, higher quality but less performant, particularly with the range of fabrics. Certainly I've seen mostly OpenMPI but not MPICH on various HPC machines. People would use either OpenMPI or a vendors MPI (which may be forked MPICH with added network hardware support).

I'd really like to hear from upstream users whether they are still encountering OpenMPI issues.

Personally I favour splitting, using MPICH on 32-bit archs to flush out bugs, and doing so early in the dev cycle (now) so there is time to change if necessary.

Thank you both for your comments.

I don't think as the Release Team we have a preference one way or the other. We'll let you pick the approach that you consider better. Obviously the freeze is still a long ways off, so if something comes up it can be changed later.

Cheers,
Emilio

Ok, as a concrete proposal: I propose to leave OpenMPI as the default MPI for 64-bit archs, move 32-bit archs to MPICH.

I will update mpi-defaults in one week, in order to give time for further responses on the matter.

I'm not sure how to write a BEN file for transition tracking when the SOVERSION doesn't change (as in this case with OpenMPI). Help appreciated.

regards

Alastair

--
Alastair McKinstry,
GPG: 82383CE9165B347C787081A2CBE6BB4E5D9AD3A5