On Thu, 2023-11-30 at 15:38 -0500, Paul Tagliamonte wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 30, 2023 at 08:24:18PM +0100, Thomas Braun wrote:
> > Now I would like to know if being able to run in an IPv6-only
> > environment is
> > a must have feature for any debian package?
>
> I have no idea what the project's stance is, but I don't regard this
> as
> a particularly high bar, it tends to take some pretty heavy and
> gnarly usage
> of legacy api surface to render programs show stoppingly broken.

I'd be inclined to agree. Running IPv6-only is relatively rare but not
unheard of, especially in larger environments where IPv4 address space
is in short supply.

I recently submitted a patch for uvloop that was FTBFS on IPv6-only
builds (#1024079) and it really didn't take very long. While
building/running in IPv6-only environments is not currently mandated in
the Policy it's a fairly safe bet that it could/should be in future
updates, so it makes sense to start making all packages agnostic of IP
version now.

Best regards,
Dale Richards