Package: wnpp
Severity: wishlist
Owner: Philipp Kern <pk...@debian.org>

* Package name    : nsncd
  Version         : 1.4.1 (plus patches[1])
* URL             : https://github.com/twosigma/nsncd
* License         : Apache 2.0
  Programming Lang: Rust
  Description     : Name service non-caching daemon

 nsncd implements the NSCD (name-service caching daemon) protocol to
 provide out-of-process NSS lookups but does not implement caching.

 It is designed to provide high-performance NSS lookups for programs
 that are not using the system libc, while providing semantics as if
 NSCD were not being used.

This is useful in environments in which you are mixing binaries from
several sources. One such environment is Nix, where binaries will
be linked to a (hermetic) glibc from the Nix store. By dropping the
need to cache, nsncd is a lot simpler than nscd - it's only purpose
is to decouple your binaries from the NSS modules you have configured,
which will continue to run under the system glibc.

I'm going to maintain the package for the time being. If the Rust team
also wants to maintain Rust leaf software, I'm also happy to collaborate
there.

Kind regards
Philipp Kern

[1] The Nix people also added support for host resolution in
    https://github.com/nix-community/nsncd/.