Interesting point in this talk: The APT team is already working on non-
PGP signatures.

https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Apt/Spec/AptSign

I can see the advantages of that for release signatures which use a
rarely changing set of keys.
However, I do not see any good alternative for PGP for personal
signatures such as developer communication and maintainer uploads. PGP
is really handy because once trust of the key fingerprint for a person
is established, the person can easily make changes such as adding
subkeys, editing the expiration date, revoking keys, etc. at any time.

This would also be less convenient with a CMS-PKI-CA-hierarchy based
system.

Regards
Stephan