Am 17.01.24 um 23:00 schrieb Simon McVittie:
Last year, Helmut Grohne proposed a nogir build profile to help with
cross-compiling the GLib ecosystem:
<https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2023/04/msg00056.html>.
After some discussion on #1030223, I have a revised proposal, with the
same name but slightly different rules:

profile name:        nogir
content changes:     Y/N (ideally N)
package set changes: Y
                      See the GObject-Introspection mini-policy for details.

For background, GObject-Introspection provides machine-readable
information about C/C++ code that follows GLib's conventions. There are
two formats: GIR XML is a text format with full information for compiled
bindings (C++, Rust, Haskell), and typelibs are a more efficient binary
format with a subset of that information for dynamic bindings (Python,
JavaScript, Perl). There is a compiler to do the lossy conversion from
GIR XML into typelibs, but creating the GIR XML is the part that has
dependencies we sometimes want to avoid, so disabling the typelibs but
leaving the GIR XML in place is not useful.

Public typelibs (Foo-1.typelib) are already shipped in their own package,
gir1.2-foo-1, so they are easy to disable with a build profile.

Public GIR XML (Foo-1.gir) is normally in the -dev package alongside the
C headers, but recent versions of gobject-introspection define a canonical
virtual package name gir1.2-foo-1-dev which can either be a Provides on
the -dev package or an independent binary package.

Hi Simon,

thanks for this.

Does this mean we should should split out the .gir XML files from existing source packages into a separate gir1.2-foo-dev (in the long run) ?

[...]

best,

--
Matthias Geiger <werdahias>