On Fri, Feb 02, 2024 at 07:34:46PM +0100, Bill Allombert wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 02, 2024 at 08:21:57AM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > Dear developers,

> > As mentioned previously on debian-devel[6], we know that there are a number
> > of library packages being included in this transition which we have not
> > proven have an ABI affected by 64-bit time_t.  This is because the
> > engineering cost of analyzing the long tail of packages whose headers
> > out-of-the-box fail ABI analysis under abi-compliance-checker is much higher
> > than the cost of just changing the package name and moving forward with
> > rebuilds.

> Why not use reproducible build on a 32bit platform and see whether the new
> library is different from the old one ?

Well, if this suggestion had come 6 months ago when this plan was laid out
on debian-devel, I think it would have been worth exploring.

Though I would have still expected a large number of false-positives,
because there would be differences for any library using time_t-derived
types internally, *or* any filesystem access affected by LFS.

> Do the libxxxt64 in experimental supposed to use the new ABI ?  Because it
> does not seem to be always the case.  Is there a lintian test for that ?

No.  Earlier this had been the plan, but after discussing with Guillem we
realized that wasn't actually relevant so we revised the plan on the fly and
skipped dpkg in experimental.

> Relying on dpkg-buildflags alone cannot be sufficient.

I don't see any practical reason why not.

Ubuntu Developer                                   https://www.debian.org/
slanga...@ubuntu.com                                     vor...@debian.org