On 2024-04-01 18:05, Jonathan Carter wrote:
The included firmware contributed to Debian 12 being a huge success,
but it wasn't the only factor.

Unfortunately, the shipped firmwares are now almost a year old, including for unstable. I am following the progress since quite a few years and I have seen many possible contributors trying to help and fail. The current situation is that Debian does not work well with recent AMD-based laptops due to firmware being too old. Therefore, we are back at users trying to update the firmware by copying them from random places (as for myself, I am using the deb generated by upstream's Makefile).

My personal impression is that we are repeating a common scheme in Debian: maintainers don't have time to move forward due to the task being non-trivial for reasons of our own, people are proposing to help (6 people in [1]), but this is ignored by the maintainers as they don't have time.

[1]: https://salsa.debian.org/kernel-team/firmware-nonfree/-/merge_requests