Adrian Bunk <b...@debian.org> writes:
> On Mon, Apr 01, 2024 at 11:17:21AM -0400, Theodore Ts'o wrote:

>> Yeah, that too.  There are still people building e2fsprogs on AIX,
>> Solaris, and other legacy Unix systems, and I'd hate to break them, or
>> require a lot of pain for people who are building on MacPorts, et. al.

> Everything you mention should already be supported by Meson.

Meson honestly sounds great, and I personally love the idea of using a
build system whose language is a bit more like Python, since I use that
language professionally anyway.  (It would be nice if it *was* Python
rather than yet another ad hoc language, but I also get why they may want
to restrict it.)

The prospect of converting 25 years of portability code from M4 into a new
language is daunting, however.  For folks new to this ecosystem, what
resources are already available?  Are there large libraries of tests
already out there akin to gnulib and the Autoconf Archive?  Is there a
really good "porting from Autotools" guide for Meson that goes beyond the
very cursory guide in the Meson documentation?

The problem with this sort of migration is that it is an immense amount of
work just to get back to where you started.  I look at the amount of
effort and start thinking things like "well, if I'm going to rewrite a
bunch of things anyway, maybe I should just rewrite the software in Rust
instead."

--
Russ Allbery (r...@debian.org)              <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>