On 2024-04-02 16:44:54 -0700 (-0700), Russ Allbery wrote:
[...]
> I think a shallow clone of depth 1 is sufficient, although that's not
> sufficient to get the correct version number from Git in all cases.
[...]

Some tools (python3-reno, for example) want to inspect the commits
and historical tags on branches, in order to do things like
assembling release notes documents. I don't know if any reno-using
projects packaged in Debian get release notes included, but if they
do then shallow clones would break that process. The python3-pbr
plugin also wants to look at commit messages on the current branch
since the most recent tag if its SemVer-based version-guessing kicks
in (typically if the current commit isn't tagged and the version
string hasn't been overridden with an envvar).
--
Jeremy Stanley