Jonas Smedegaard <d...@jones.dk> writes:

> Quoting Simon Josefsson (2024-04-18 09:34:26)
>> Jonas Smedegaard <d...@jones.dk> writes:
>>
>> > That said, you are welcome to try nudge me if some concrete task
>> > emerges where you image I might be of help.
>>
>> Thanks -- I'm moving this out of 921954@bugs and cc'ing debian-devel to
>> allow others to help and to allow you from not having to feel a need to
>> reply at all :)
>
> Thanks for releaving me.
>
> ...but then you bring up licensing, which has my special interest :-D

I am terribly sorry :-)

>> One of the things that bothered me with the gnulib Debian package that
>> I've been too afraid to touch is the debian/copyright file.  It triggers
>> a lot of lintian errors:
>>
>> https://udd.debian.org/lintian/?packages=gnulib
>>
>> For reference here is current debian/copyright:
>>
>> https://salsa.debian.org/debian/gnulib/-/blob/debian/sid/debian/copyright
>>
>> I've seen debian/clscan/ and ran the tools there, but I don't yet feel
>> comfortable patching things, and it didn't produce clean results even
>> for the last version in testing before I started to work on this
>> package, so I'm not convinced this toolchain is the best approach going
>> forward.
>
> When I took over maintenance my first thought was also to get rid of the
> clscan script, but then I realized how enormous a work it would be to
> approach it differently and wrapped my head around the script and
> adjusted it.
>
> Does it sound like you are in a similar situation now as I was, or is
> there something in particular that makes you consider abandoning
> clscan?

Yes you are right.  There is nothing in particular that I've found,
except that I don't understand how it is supposed to work and I felt
uncertain if it was worth wrapping my head around or not.

>> One problem is that lintian doesn't like [REF01] in lines like this:
>>
>> License: FSFAP [REF01]
>
> I agree with lintian about the above (but we disagree on other things -
> see bug#786450). I am confident that the above syntax is incorrect:
> copyright format 1.0 requires a single-word shortname.

That is good to establish, and I wasn't even certain of that.  Then it
is clear that it is the gnulib debian/copyright file that should change.
And the discussion can move to what it should change into.

> If you are simply not fluent in perl, then perhaps reach out to the
> Debian perl team for help? Or perhaps look in the git history the tweaks
> that I made - perhaps those are of inspiration to whatever issue you are
> running into now?

I will try to do that -- and will experiment with it to see if I get an
improved copyright file out of it, maybe using a Comment: approach
instead of the invalid [REF01] approach.

/Simon