This, in my opinion, is the correct view.

If the users/admins of a system are putting files somewhere, those are their
files and therefore their responsibility. It is not up to anyone else to claim
they know better and clean up after them.

If the files are abandoned by applications that don't clean up after
themselves, the applications should be updated to clean up properly, since only
those applications understand the full context of what is or isn't still "in
use" or needed (and possibly convince those applications to use their own
scratch space such as /tmp/<package>/ that is more easily identifiable).
Checking the documentation of those applications for descriptions of what ends
up in [/var]/tmp/ would also be useful, since that informs the admin's decision
on how to deal with possibly abandoned temp files.

Making the applications behave properly and trusting the system owners to run
their systems as they see fit will always be the better choice.

Otherwise, all that will happen is that over time, another scratch space that
does not automatically get reaped will appear, users and apps will migrate to
that space, and we will all be back where we started. (No, they won't just
"change the defaults" because that's not a stable process. One admin may allow
that while another doesn't.)

--J

Sent from my mobile device.