Le Mon, May 06, 2024 at 11:09:14PM +0200, Preuße, Hilmar a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> during the preparation of a new version of package "nq" (via NMU) it was
> found that there exists a file conflict with package "fq" (#1005961), which
> was incorrectly solved in the past. For now I unarchived and reopened the
> old issue. According to the policy:
>
> "Two different packages must not install programs with different
> functionality but with the same filenames. (...) If this case happens, one
> of the programs must be renamed. The maintainers should report this to the
> debian-devel mailing list and try to find a consensus about which program
> will have to be renamed. (...)"
>
> Hence I contact this list. Is there a formal process to generate decisions /
> consensus? Please note that I'm not the maintainer of "nq" and I'm not in
> the position to rename binaries to solve file conflicts.

As first approximation, the oldest package win, for the simple reason that
doing the other way would break users scripts, and it is not in the
interest of Debian to encourage upstream to hijack each other program
names.

After that the maintainers or the ctte could agree to operate a
transition to other names.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballo...@debian.org>