Quoting Otto Kekäläinen (2024-05-19 21:32:36)
> > > My concern about Gitlab is not its *additions* to existing services, but
> > > its *duplications* of core services already in Debian.
> >
> > I agree, that's the key problem.
>
> I agree that duplication is bad - but I disagree that use of version
> control duplicates the use of the Debian archive for source code
> storage, or that use of GitLab for code reviews would duplicate
> Debbugs.
>
> > > ...instead of lumping all those discussions into a discussion of ease of
> > > user interface for a single catch-all code forge that maybe make all those
> > > other complications go away by affecting all those questions and that way
> > > implicitly provides *some* answer to them all.
> >
> > Also, there is a difference between ease of use and intuitivity. GitLab
> > does not provide any tools that really make packaging easier. It is
> > initially more accessible to non-maintainers, because of familiarity,
> > but actual work happens outside of it.
>
> Would you be kind and try to understand the opposing viewpoint by
> trying it for one day?
>
> You could go to
> https://salsa.debian.org/debbugs-team/debbugs/-/merge_requests/19 and
> conduct a code review?
>
> You might discover that GitLab is useful and is not duplicating
> Debbugs or anything else in Debian - it is currently the only platform
> to conduct code reviews on in a way that has automatic testing and
> comment-response-resolved -tracking. Doing code reviews patches
> attached in email does not have that.
>
> If you try it out, and still think Salsa is bad for Debian, then I am
> more willing to accept your stanze.

But it *is* duplicating Debbugs: None of your valuable contributions
posted as part of your code review appears on Debbugs.

The developers of FreedomBox (which is a Debian Pure Blend, i.e. a
project fully within Debian) has embraced Salsa, and when I asked about
an issue with network instability for certain hardware, I was told that
it was in the issue tracker - which meant it was missing from Debbugs
while actively discussed in Salsa.

Salsa is *great* if you fully embrace it. Salsa is not good if you want
single features without fully embracing it.

 - Jonas

 * Sponsorship: https://ko-fi.com/drjones