On Mon, 8 Jun 1998, Norbert Veber wrote:

> The bug report pretty much says:
> xinetd: samba 1.9.18p3-1 don't work from xinetd (from inetd is ok)
>
> What I need is to know if this is a real bug or just a user configuration
> problem.  I personally do not have/use samba, but I know of at least 2 people
> that use it successfully with xinetd.  If someone else could confirm this
> bug, then I will forward it to the upstream maintainer, otherwise I will
> close it..

A few months ago, I investigated this bug since I suffered from it. The
outcome was this:

- nmbd exits with an error immediately when started by xinetd
- this does not happen when nmbd is started by inetd or as standalone
daemon

I can send you all e-mail messages I have sent and received about this
bug, if you wish. Right now I don't have much time to re-investigate the
bug.

Remco