On Tue, 23 Jun 1998, Yann Dirson wrote:

> Dale Scheetz writes:
>  > > > I like Santiago's suggestion better:
>  > > >
>  > > >        2.0.8pre1 => 2.0.7.99.1
>  > > >        2.0.8pre2 => 2.0.7.99.2
>  > > >                  :
>  > > >        2.0.8     => 2.0.8
>  > > >
>  > > > Which scales properly and solves the problem.
>  > >
>  > > Mmm, well, this was actually suggested by Vincent Renardias, but yes, I
>  > > also like this proposal :-). I used a similar approach for procmail and
>  > > smartlist (only similar, because I don't have a "99"), with a
>  > > clarification about the version number in the extended description.
>
> Well, it is know solution, but with a disavantage: we don't use
> upstream version number...

Well, only for the pre-release versions. The release version (the one we
expect to distribute) does match  the upstream in the above proposal.

In the current scheme all the pre-release version numbers are correct, but
the release version must be changed, and will not match upstream.

I like the proposal much better. It also is reasonable enough that even
the glibc upstream maintainer might be encouraged to adopt our numbering
scheme.

Waiting is,

Dwarf

      e-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]     Tallahassee, FL  32308