On Thu, 15 Oct 1998, Alexander Kushnirenko wrote:

 : Hi,
 :
 : > I have an IBM ThinkPad 380XD.  I have found that 2.0.x kernels just don't
 : > work properly, my machine will crash or shutdown during boot.  I believe
that
 : > the best thing that can be done to support laptops is to create boot disks
 : > with 2.1.125 kernels.  2.1.125 works well on my laptop in every way and has
 : > fixed the problems with RAM disks that older 2.1.x kernels had.
 : >
 :
 : Sorry to jump into discussion... Well, I ABSOLUTELYU agree with Russel.   I
 : also installed linux on IBM ThinkPad 380XD.  It's my 6-th Debian
installation
 : around and definitly the most embarrasing one.  I DO agree that ThinkPad
380XD
 : is quite new piece of hardware, and don't want to blame anyone or anything,
 : but perhaps we may pay closer attention to Laptop instalation problems.
 :
 : 1. Official booting disketes - DOES NOT work (tecra also!)
 : 2. Official kernel 2.0.34 - DOES NOT work (constant reboot)

I've got a 380Z - a zImage kernel worked for me.  Of course, there is no
official zImage rescue disk :/

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet  410 South Phillips Avenue  Sioux Falls, SD