Philip Hands wrote:
> > So, slink is more than 760 Megabytes big for i386 machines.  This
> > does not fit on one single CD.  This means that even without contrib,
> > non-free, non-US etc. we already need two cds.
> >
> > This needs to be addressed quick!
> >
> > Heiko Schlittermann has written a new dselect installation method
> > that supports multiple cds.[1]  The reason why he hasn't uploaded
> > it yet is that it depends on a hax0red version of dpkg-scanpackages
> > to support a new field for each package "CD" which contains the
> > CD on which the package is stored.
> >
> > Phil, as debian-cd maintainer and maintainer of the OfficialCD, I'd
> > like to hear your oppinion.
>
> If there's a way of making multi CD installs work, then I'm all for it.

Of course there is.  Aren't we all able to do some programming?

Please take a look at the mail I've just sent and take a look at
the dpkg-multicd package which provides three methods for accessing
multiple binary cd-roms.

ftp://ftp.infodrom.north.de/pub/people/joey/debian/dpkg-multicd_0.7.1_all.deb

> One thing:  Do people think it's important to keep the possibility of doing a
> one CD install, and still ending up with a useful system ?

Yes!  I don't think this is too difficult.  There are a lot of packages
which can be moved onto the second cd-rom.

> If so, I would think the thing to do is to move the ``most optional''
> packages
> from main onto the second CD, so that the first CD still contains the
> ``most important'' bits of main.

> How do we determine what's important, and what's optional ?

Some people already mentioned that we need to distinguish between
certain packgages.

I propose:

 . First try to separate by section, move the least important section
   to the second cd and check the remaining disk space.

 . Secondly check some packages and their priority, move some back onto
   the first cd and some others off of the first cdrom.

 . Thirdly you could try to move whole subsystems off of the first CD,
   like already mentioned: sound, tex, scientific (partially in math,
   partially somewhere else), misc etc.

Regards,

        Joey

--
The MS-DOS filesystem is nice for removable media.  -- H. Peter Anvin