On Fri, May 21, 1999 at 11:47:59AM +0100, Jules Bean wrote:
> Then he had attempting to do something which would have worked in vi (he
> didn't give specifics) but doesn't work in 'ae', which resulted in the
> file getting mangled, and saved.

One solution would be not to try to imitate vi, or at least give a warning.
So either:

$ vi
You don't have installed an editor yet. To have basic file editing at least,
use the `ae' program.
$ emacs
You don't have installed an editor yet. To have basic file editing at least,
use the `ae' program.
$ edit
(ae starts)

Or:
$ vi
You don't have installed an editor yet. I will start a simple editor that
resembles vi keyboard layout, but it has only a limited set of features.
[PRESS KEY]
(ae-vi starts up).

And, by all means, put ED on the base disks.

Marcus

--
"The purpose of Free Software is Free Software.
The End and the Means are the same."  -- Craig Sanders

Marcus Brinkmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>