What you did is one way ;-)

On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 03:27:25PM +0100, Laura Arjona Reina wrote:
> Hello
> I've been doing some tests and this is what I have, for now:
>
> * the current script is in:
> https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/debwww/cron.git/tree/parts/1ftpfiles
> (and it works, not sure when/if it will stop working...).
> This seems to work (I've run the script in local and later checked that the
> files were downloaded in /srv/www.debian.org/cron/ftpfiles), but it needs
> improvements, because:
>
> * I've workarounded the robots.txt with "-e robots=off" but I guess that this
> is
> not the correct/elegant/respectful way?
>
> * wget downloads all the files and then removes the ones that don't match the
> pattern specified with -A. Maybe there is a more efficient way to do this?

Most wgetfiles are downloading the latest unstable binary packages.
Why re-invent the binary package downloader when we have "apt-get"?

apt-get has -C option to use non-standard /etc/apt/sources.list
listing unstable distribution:

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ sid main contrib non-free

We need to use non-standard directories and not to contaminate the
system ones:
  /var/cache/apt/archives/
  /var/lib/apt/lists/

This can be done by setting through
  Item: Dir::Cache::Archives
  Item: Dir::State::Lists
specified via -o option.

By setting all these and few more options as needed, we should be
able to download the latest binary package from the archive using the
proven tool.

Of course, obsolete dpkg-doc from snapshot should use original wgetfiles

Installation guide: I need to check how it should be handled.

What do you think?

Regards,

Osamu