at bottom  :-

On 05/09/2018, Javier Fernandez-Sanguino <j...@computer.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Sep 2018 at 23:56, shirish शिरीष <shirisha...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I have been looking at the Debian releases wiki page over the last
>> several days and it seems lot of pages have the same missing content -
>>

> The canonical content on Releases is available here:
> https://www.debian.org/releases/
>
> So, for stable, it is: https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/  (but you
> can also use the codenames: https://www.debian.org/releases/stretch/)
>
> A summary of all the releases in Debian is also available in the Project
> History document:
> https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/project-history/ch-releases.en.html
>
>  An example to share could be https://wiki.debian.org/DebianJessie
>

>> Just a cursory look tells me that the page can be improved in number of
>> ways -
>>

> Maybe the best is, as you say, to have a template (
>

>> a. It doesn't tell about the release name and version before Jessie
>> came into being. If memory serves right, that was wheezy.
>>

> This is because this information is captured in the above web pages and, in
> the Wiki, in the following summary: https://wiki.debian.org/DebianReleases
>
>  b. It doesn't tell the distribution version release which superseded
>
>> it . This I know is Stretch.
>>

> Again, this is in the general summary.
>

>> c. Most importantly though, it doesn't tell what the lifecycle of a
>> certain version is . That info. is available only in the LTS page
>> https://wiki.debian.org/LTS
>

> The lifecycle is not set in stone, but, again, this is in the general
> summary page in the Wiki
>

>> Now while I don't know the how these wiki pages are made,  if the
>> release page use a certain template then we should modify that
>> template and also include the missing information at least till wheezy
>>

> I believe all the releases use the same Wiki template already or at least
> it looks that way. Granted, they could have more information, but there is
> so much benefit in repeating information that is also available in other
> (higher level) views of the Debian Release cycle.
>
> Best regards
>
> Javier

Dear all and specially Javier,

Thank you for sharing the links. There are number of things which I
feel could be done to make it better.

For instance -

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianReleases  -

Do people think it would be a good or a bad idea to have a bad idea of
having different colors to show importance of the releases.

We could either have black or red for all obsolete releases, having
dark green color for the current release and pink or some other
desirable color for the testing release along with icons to specify
releases.

They could be color labels at the end of the page with different icons
( Maybe the 'codename' has its own icon which could be used.)

I share the idea of having colors and icons because there are people
who are colorblind so for them it might be useful.

The other thing which might be useful (perhaps) is to have the
debian-installer (D-I) pages linked from these pages.  i.e.
https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/debian-installer/

Even the Brief history link i.e.
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/project-history/ch-releases.en.html
would do well to be linked from there so as to be more discoverable
for a newbie.

Whenever I try showing the debian wiki pages to newbies and students,
a lot of time is spent on clicking on different web-pages to get them
to the content.

Please note that I haven't even shared about Debian teams which
frankly speaking seems like an opportunity lost to attract
contributors.

It would be nice if we could structure it so people can discover how a
release works, the different teams that are there etc.

Let me know the thoughts and where the pages are on
https://salsa.debian.org/ddp-team

--
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल